Six Ways to Prepare for Your Au Pair
You’ve matched with your perfect au pair and are anxiously awaiting their arrival! Here are a few quick tips on how best to prepare your family during this exciting time:
- Prepare your au pair’s room – Try to make sure it’s clean, inviting and comfortable. This will be their personal space for the next 12 months.
- Include your children – They should be excited to meet their new au pair. Their relationship with this person is key to the success of the program. Help get it started right!
- Create a welcome packet – Include things that will help your au pair get their bearings – local maps, public transit info, important phone numbers, and especially notes on each child, listing things like their personalities, favorite activities, foods, etc.
- Write up your daily routine – Create a detailed schedule for your au pair. Include appointments, duties, and scheduled free time. Try to keep things fairly consistent, and communicate changes in advance whenever possible.
- Greet your au pair at the airport – Make a sign or bring some balloons. Let them know you’re excited they’re here. They will be tired after a long flight, so give them some time to rest. If possible, take a day or two to allow your au pair to settle in and create a bond with your children. It won’t take long!
- Have fun! – This should be a fun experience for you, your family, and your au pair. Make the most of it! Thanks for being a part of the CHI family!